Wednesday 26 April 2017

Italian Line Infantry - 28mm Victrix

Some allied infantry for the French. I've done them up as 'generic' Italian line infantry in white uniforms with green and red facings/collars etc.  I used the Victrix 1804-1812 set for these as this is the earlier long tailed uniform.







A close up look at the elite companies. I included a cornet player in Voltigeurs, one of the options provided for in these Victrix sets. 

These Victrix figures look the part, though I have to admit assembly is rather burdensome. Every figure needs its backpack, arms, head - and also sabre for elite companies, attached. The plus side is you can get a lot of variety with these (which is particularly nice for the command figures), but more of a modeler's than a wargamer's set I think. The sculpting is also rather fine compared to Victrix's later Napoleonic figures. I added a couple of coats of PVA to the bayonets and top of musket to strengthen them a bit given I've heard other people complaining about breaking them. The later produced Victrix sets like the French Guard and Austrians are more wargamer friendly, with less assembly required.

You get 60 figures per set in these boxes, which includes 8 officers, 4 drummers, 4 standard bearers, 24 standing fusiliers, 12 standing voltigeurs/grenadiers, 4 kneeling voltigeurs/grenadiers, and 4 kneeling fusiliers! So rather lot of extra figures left over here from two kits I got, which I'll find some use for.  They come with plenty of arm and other options, some of which I've used with other plastic kits too, so they are also useful to add variety and conversion potential.

Ok thanks for looking, next up will be a couple of Baden regiments!

20 comments:

  1. Lovely looking Italians, I couldn't agree more about the victrix 1804 /1812 set, I've recently assembled and undercoated 2 boxes of them and it was tough! I'll be using this page as reference as I want to do at least one unit as Italians,looking forward to the Baden troops.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers and yes a bit of work!! Good luck with work on yoru own Italians!

      Delete
  2. Great stuff there Mark! I have often thought of doing the Italians but just haven't got there yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent job, Mark! You never tackle anything in small measure, do you? The Italian white uniform is a smart looking one enhanced by your skilled brushwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Jonathan! Yes I like big numbers :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Many thanks Winser! Took some inspiration from your own recent work.

      Delete
  5. Lovely work as always Mark. The Italians are always a beautiful looking uniform to see on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splendid! "Bright is right" get my vote everytime!
    I have lots of Italians looking exactly like yours, my favourite French allied power, other than the Poles, Bavarians, Saxons etc...

    ReplyDelete