Wednesday 3 May 2017

Baden Line Infantry - 28mm Murawski

More allied infantry painted up. This time two regiments of Baden line infantry from Murawski Miniatures. Figures for this minor state have been long sought after - given they showed up in quite a few battles, so great to have them. In later battles they also shifted to shakos, but I decided I liked the earlier 'raupenhelm' (caterpillar helm) look so went with that in this instance.

Nice figures again, seemingly a little finer in proportion than their Poles, though not noticeable when together with them, and part of that is due to the raupenhelm. I've done up 4 centre companies for each regiment, so I can add the two flank companies later.

Similar to what Peter suggests here, I couldn't stand the sight of the flags mismatched to facing colours and instead chose matching flags.  I wasn't as game to try his yellow/red striped helmet comb under the crest as he was, instead viewing the fact that the crest hides this on these sculpts as a positive feature from the perspective of painting time and difficullty :)

Here's Regiment 3, von Harrant, with red facings.  As Peter notes in his excellent article linked to above, historically most sources suggest they had a blue flag. But I tried it and the insanity of mismatched flags annoyed me too much - so a red flag to match the facing colour it is!





Regiment 2, Erbgrossherzog, with yellow facings. Historically they likely should have the above red flag(!), but I've given  them the yellow flag which matches the facing colours. And which was no doubt the intention until some German bureaucratic bungling or something.





My wife who is German informed me the mismatch of flags was actually done to confuse the enemy, which made me pause for a second or two until I realised she was (probably) joking... 

Anyway nice uniforms and figures! And very nice to paint as with previous Murawski miniatures.

26 comments:

  1. Bloody fantastic Mark!I think, a good call with the flags too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are very beautiful Mark - the Badners served a fair bit ok and can be used in so many different battles. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Carlo, yes indeed a useful type to have!

      Delete
  3. Really awesome buddy!!! Great additions to your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am the same way, I am going with yellow flag for the yellow cuffed guys and red for the red cuffed guys. Looking good, and is inspiration to get my battalion done. Should be done by the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers and hope to see some pics, thanks Matt!

      Delete
  5. very nicely done !
    i'm collecting Poles myself , beautiful sculpts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll be adding even more Poles next :)

      Delete
  6. Mark what type of contingent are you creating for the Badeners? If digs were available from Murawski I'd go with 2-3 line inf units/1 jaeger/ foot battery and some cavalry
    I was in touch with Roger at Murawski and he has more release in mind but not at advanced stage
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, these units plus the flank companies eventually, and definitely Baden Light Dragoons if Roger makes them!! Possibly more after that but not immediately.

      Delete
  7. They are superb, Mark! The facings/flag mismatch also drove me nuts, as you know. It was so clearly the intent to have the flags match the facings that I felt no remorse in correcting the error of the bureaucrats, probably caused by the decision to send a composite regiment for service in Spain.

    I am very much waiting for Roger to do the Baden Light Dragoons. I want them really badly! :-)

    The Artillery would be nice, but Bavarians can stand in if necessary. The foot and horse guards really never saw combat so I can do without them. The Hussar uniforms are nice, though...

    The high point of the Badeners was probably the fighting at Aspern, where they played an important role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter, yes thanks indeed flags are much better this way!

      I'm with you on the Baden Light Dragoons, much needed!

      Delete
  8. Nice flags and wonderful painting Chasseur, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely looking badeners (? )and a sensible choice as far as flags and facing colours go.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, and yes it seems most people are of that opinion with the flags! And yes I think it is Badeners!

      Delete
  10. Excellent work, Mark! I have one of these Baden battalions (2/3rd) painted with one still waiting in the wings. Very fine sculpts as you note. I did not follow Peter's yellow combing either. In illustrations I saw, it was either not present or not visible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Jonathan, just checked out your first bat and look forward to seeing the second one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous work Mark,

    Looking forward to painting mine soon.

    Cheers
    Matt
    Hercé Salon de Guerre
    Mayenne, France

    ReplyDelete