Wednesday 17 October 2018

Austrian Uhlans - 28mm Perry

Austrian Uhlans - I've painted up the 3rd Regiment to add to the existing 1st Regiment. 

First some better pictures of the 1st Regiment with distinctive yellow Czapka.








And the newly added 3rd Regiment with red Czapka, and falling plume rather than the upright plume of the first.





For completeness I'll add my comment from when I posted picture of the 1st Regiment - "the cords also had a very fine black hatching in real life, but given scale of figures and typical viewing difference (and consideration of my sanity!), I decided that trying to represent this detail effectively would be more time and trouble than it was worth."

There's also the 2nd regiment (green Czapka) and 4th regiment (white Czapka), but no plans to add those at the present time as this will be enough Austrian Uhlans for most scenarios I can imagine.

Next, Austrian Hussars, and many of them!

20 comments:

  1. Wow! Very beautiful you painted Mark! The red top looks unusual, very rarely, who painted this regiment for the game. Also, the Perry brothers made them with horsehair. Excellent result. As for the laces, I agree with your opinion, but I still paint these difficult stripes myself, although they are not visible in the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dmitry, yes your painting attention to detail is an inspiration thanks!

      Delete
  2. They look great, love this impressive yellow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic looking lancers! They look simply gorgeous!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your uhlans are superb, Mark! Their bright yellows and reds make these troopers pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep it's great combo these Austrians had, thanks Jonathan!

      Delete
  5. Great looking units, Mark. Of course everyone does thr Merveldt Uhlans, but at least one Austrian uhlan unit is always a must for any Napoleonic Austrian Army. Tell you what, with my renewed vision your guys look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ion, glad your vision is improved again, been waiting for your op to be over before I schedule another big game. :)

      Delete
  6. Great work, and very eye-catching. It will certainly make a nice contrast against the waves of white.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey both look amazing; I have the same too units in my col;lection, although not looking nearly as sharp. I did the cords by painting them yellow, and then adding black dots on top of that, without obsessing about regularity in size or spacing. Either way works for me!

    I agree that 2 units of Austrian Uhlans should suffice for any conceivable scenario.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, yes the red and yellow complement each other nicely I think. Also your Uhlans don't seem to be in your excellent uniform guide, something to add when you have a moment! ;)

      Delete
  8. You have done an outstanding job on these Mark - beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking unit Mark. There is just somerhing about Austrian cavalry that makes them stand out in the crowd and the uhlans have to be the quintessential Austrian cavalry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Them and the Hussars coming next :) Thanks Mark!

      Delete
  10. Wow! These are absolutely beautiful! I never realized how much color one unit could produce. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean yes it's interesting how much colour are in these!

      Delete